All organisations and companies undergo continuous change and improvement as a natural process. The main vehicle for delivering change is the project. However there is a limit to what one project can achieve and major change may often only be delivered through a portfolio of projects – ie a Programme.
Programmes are complex, difficult and carry substantial risk. They involve many parts of an enterprise and a great deal of valuable resources. The impact of not managing them successfully could be considerable. Programmes require effective management to be successful. Programme Management provides a proven framework for managing portfolios of projects that deliver benefits to the business.
- Your company can develop a proper framework for programme management
- Learn best practice from experienced programme managers
- Improve the way your business operates
Who will the course benefit?
The course is ideal for:
- Senior managers that want to adopt programme management across the board
- Programme managers that would deal with the application of MSP
- Project management consultants
- Support staff that require a proper understanding of MSP
To provide delegates with a good understanding of the OGC (Office of Government and Commerce) approach to Managing Programmes (in the book, Managing Successful Programmes, MSP). In addition, it will help to prepare delegates for the APM Group administered Foundation and Practitioners examination in Programme Management.
This course will enable delegates to:
- Understand the need for programme management and how the OGC method achieves the requirement.
- Design appropriate Programmes and Programme Management frameworks.
- Understand the principles of successful Programme Management.
- Apply the principles to design appropriate organisational roles and structures.
- Understand the relationship between mission, strategy, programmes and projects.
- Manage the realisation of benefits and the needs of stakeholders.
- Set up a framework for planning, control, issues resolution, risk management, quality control and configuration management.
- Understand the six Programme Management processes, namely identification, definition, governance, portfolio management, delivering benefits and closure.
- Prepare for and take the Foundation Certificate Examination in Programme Management.
Delegates should have a good appreciation of the principles and sound practical experience of Project Management, ideally utilising a recognised structured methodology. It would be helpful if they have some knowledge and/or experience of strategic or business planning.
Typical Course Content
- Course Objectives and Introduction
- Introduction to Programme Management
- Managing the change process
- Organisation and Leadership
- Overview of processes and products
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Programme Planning and control
- Business Case management
- Benefits Management
- Governing a programme
- Risk management and issue resolution
- Managing the portfolio
- Stakeholder management and communication
- Quality management
- Managing benefits
- Closing a programme
The course has been designed to prepare delegates for and comply with the requirements in the syllabus for the Foundationand Practitioner Examinations in Programme Management, administered by the Association for Project Management Group Ltd (APM Group Ltd).
Free copies of the OGC’s ‘Managing Successful Programmes’ manual published by The Stationery Office (normal price £35) will be provided to all delegates.