Successful projects need reliable estimating
All projects should be properly planned and planning must include accurate estimating of time and effort. The aim of this course is to provide an understanding of the general principles and methods of estimating together with practical advice on the achievement of accurate estimation
The Principles of estimating
What can realistically be achieved
When to undertake or re-evaluate estimates
Who should be involved
Approaches to estimating
Bottom up. Top Down. Algorithmic. FPA.
A 6 stage approach.
Standard adjustments for specific project issues
Estimating FPA counts
Commonly used phased ratios
Developing estimates for projects using Structured System Development Methods
An algorithmic bottom up approach
Implementing estimating techniques
Project Estimating Workshop Close Window
To provide an understanding of the factors contributing to accurate estimating and practical advice to achieve such estimates.
What skills will the delegate gain?
This course will enable delegates to:
- Explain the concepts and methods of estimating at project and detailed level.
- Understand the benefits of top-down and bottom-up estimating techniques.
- Use a standard estimating framework.
- Be aware of published suggested adjustments for specific project issues.
- Define the key metrics necessary to improve an organisations estimating for the future.
Who will the course benefit?
IT management, project managers, stage managers, IT estimating and metrics team members. User managers with estimating responsibility.
Knowledge of systems development is assumed.