By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
• Explain the principles, practices, tools and techniques of project management.
• Describe how project management processes are integrated to implement rail infrastructure projects.
• Discuss the key roles and responsibilities in project management.
• Be able to apply proven management skills, processes and tools to better deliver rail infrastructure projects.
• Consolidate existing knowledge and experience with established good rail infrastructure project practices.
• Confidently manage re-scoping and re-budgeting exercises during execution.
• Have utilised the knowledge and practised the skills acquired.
This highly interactive and participative course covers the following areas:
• Introductions and Expectations
• Overview of Project Management:
o Introduction to typical Rail Project Lifecycle and Stage Gate Reviews
o Links to External Funding Bodies (SRA and Tfl)
o Roles and Responsibilities:
• Output Definition:
o Value Management, Stakeholders/Stakeholder Analysis, RACI Matrix, Success Criteria
o Project Environment, Order of Magnitude Estimating, Sponsors Remit & High Level Business Case
o Functional Specification, Option Identification/High Level Assessment, Budget Estimating, Project Safety Strategy, Strategic Risks
• Option Selection:
o Project Strategy, Feasibility Estimate, Option Selection Report
• Single Option Development:
o Project and Option Investment Appraisal, Consents, Approvals and Possessions Strategy, Outline Business Case
• Detailed Design:
o Estimating, Work Breakdown Structure, Schedule Planning, Resource Planning, Cost Planning, Cash Flow Forecasts
• Project Risk Management
• Procurement Management
• Project Planning Summary:
o Complete Detailed Implementation Plan, CDM requirements, Quality Plan, Possession planning, Acceptance Planning
• Construction Test and Commissioning:
o Method Statements, Monitoring, Control and Reporting, Earned Value Analysis, Change Control, Configuration Management
• Scheme Hand Back:
o Acceptance, Hand Back and Acceptance Certificates
o Project Close-Out:
o Completions Certificates, As Built Drawings, Maintenance Documentation, Review and Audit, Critical Success Factors
This course is suitable for anyone working in a rail infrastructure project environment.